On Wed, 2017-09-27 at 13:46 +0200, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 01:34:08PM +0200, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> > what you think about adding discovery to core PRs test suite, just
> > one Ruby version on sqlite3?
>
> +1

This would be PR-blocking, I assume? I'm fine with that, just checking.

> In other discussions other people have suggested that only testing
> with Katello is odd and I agree. Either we test no plugins or a bunch
> of popular ones. Since testing is good, I'd prefer a bunch of popular
> ones.

Overall, I agree. However ...

The primary concern I recall there was about load on Jenkins. We
already exceed our free allowance from Rackspace every single month
(although not by much), so more VMs / compute time there will be hard.

Do we have any suggestions for lowering the *current* usage so that
there is capacity for this? Some thoughts off the top of my head:

* Bandwidth takes about 1/3rd of our $2k budget - perhaps we can affect
that
* Take another look at running some loads on the CentOS Ci project
instead of our own
* Find some new slaves from somewhere

> We can argue about the rules for inclusion. My suggestion is to keep
> it simple: including in the main test matrix is a commitment from
> both sides and we need at least 2 active developers willing to help
> with test failures/potential regressions in core PRs.

I agree, it'll need a commitment from the plugin side to deal with
broken tests. We should also have a contingency in case that's not met
within a given timeframe (as in, someone needs to acknowledge and start
working on the issue within X time) - probably removing the plugin from
the blocking job so that core is unblocked.

Greg