On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 08:34:45AM -0500, Eric D Helms wrote:
So many items to unpack here that I am going to attempt to break my
response into categorizations. If I miss a key point, please point it out
so I can follow up addressing it.

There's a lot of good thoughts in your mail. I'm just going to jump on one of them.

6) Reduce Support Matrix

Granted, in general, if there is not significant load on Jenkins, all of
our testing runs in parallel across Jenkins executors. However, this is
generally not true for our infrastructure. Further, developers have
expressed a desire to increase the amount of testing we do by adding
plugins into the matrix.

That being said, today we support 3 databases and 3 versions of Ruby. We
attempt to give users choice in production between postgres and mysql, and
provide developers the use of a lightweight database in sqlite. Further, we
support a single RPM based production setup and multiple Debian giving us a
range of Rubies. This is compounded by wanting to test against potential
upgrades in our Rails and Ruby stack.

With choice comes burden on infrastructure and testing. I'd ask that we
consider being more opinionated and reducing this matrix. For example, if
we centralize on Forklift based development environments we could drop
sqlite. I will say up front I am less knowledgeable about Debian, but the
packaging repository makes it appear we support 4 different versions.
Perhaps we consider, if such a thing exists, locking in on LTS type
versions or dropping support sooner to focus on a few hardened environments.

For Debian we try to support the latest supported version and we skip their LTS support. This allows us to to focus on usually 1 version. We already decided to drop Jessie for 1.17 so that can be dropped from the matrix.

For Ubuntu we currently have two LTS versions (14.04 Trusty and 16.04 Xenial) but I'm unsure about the Trusty support. I wouldn't mind dropping it so we can focus on the latest LTS only.

If we limit to Debian Stretch and Ubuntu Xenial then we only need to test on Ruby 2.3. For EL7 we need to choose a new version to base on. While we could pick 2.3 so all major supported packaging is on the same Ruby version, I think we should continue testing on Ruby 2.4 anyway.