> Given we are targeting Rails 5.1 for the SCL we are building and it's the
> newest, does anything change here with using it?

The approach stays the same, I think. My bet would be the problems stay the
same too (i.e. use of MD5 in caches).

> I have heard that the teams that work on those backend projects we use
> are/have looked into FIPS compliancy so we don't need to worry about that
> aspect.
>
> Sounds like we still need to look at the installer to ensure Kafo, Puppet
> and the Puppet modules are all FIPS compliant?

Yes, although I'd imagine puppet itself is going to be ok, as long as
FIPS-compatible hash function is configured. Puppet modules have issues,
for example dhcpd and bind puppet modules might use MD5s, as those
dependencies are configured with MD5-based shared secrets.

I suppose we could tests for this? For example, if a user provides custom
> SSL certificates for the web server we could run a check and warn a user?

Before a certificate is installed, yes. Might get involved though (as most
things tend to when it comes to SSL/TLS and certificates).

> Is it possible to detect that a system is running in FIPS mode to only
> warn in that case?

Yes, it is possible to detect that a system is running in FIPS mode.

> How often do you see this CI job running? And I assume this would be
> temporary until we are fully FIPS compliant?

A few times a day at first -- to help resolve w/e issues we currently have.
After that -- w/e pattern/schedule we currently have or plan to have, in
other words, we run *all* CI in FIPS mode.

cheers,
-d