While I don't mind adding more IDs, care should be taken to make sure there
aren't any duplicate ids on the same page.
We already add data-id attributes to all links in a bit of a hacky way [1],
I'd be happy to get rid of this unreadable code (which i'm not sure is even
used anywhere) and replace it with actual ids in a consistent manner.

[1]
https://github.com/theforeman/foreman/blob/develop/app/helpers/application_helper.rb#L6

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 9:06 PM, Walden Raines <wrai...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > Seems reasonable to me. I don't really see a downside other than the
> work to add all the IDs.
>
> I don't think we should go through the entire application and add the
> IDs.  I think the way to tackle this is two-fold:
>
>    - Add IDs as we update functionality on pages that don't have these IDs
>    - Encouraging QE to report missing IDs (and potentially open a PR to
>    add them) on troublesome pages
>
> The latter has already been agreed to, the former is in our hands to
> remember to do.
>
> Cheers,
> Walden
>

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden <
> ew...@kohlvanwijngaarden.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 01:08:13PM -0500, Walden Raines wrote:
>>
>>> In order to assist in UI automation, I would like to propose that we add
>>> unique IDs to the following elements:
>>>
>>>   - Tables and table rows (<tr>s)
>>>   - All inputs, including those not technically in a form (row select
>>>   checkboxes, for example)
>>>   - All buttons
>>>
>>> These IDs should all follow the same format, perhaps something like
>>> object.class-object.id-element.type.  For example, product-2-row and
>>> product-2-checkbox.
>>>
>>> Thoughts on this?  Anything that needs to be added or changed?
>>>

>> +1 This was also the feedback I heard from QE. Sometimes they have to use
>> xpaths to test which are more likely to break than IDs.
>>

>> --
>>

> --

Have a nice day,
Tomer Brisker