On 15/07/16 06:52, Steve Hajducko wrote:
> 1 - Cobbler's ks_meta - This seems to translate directly over to
> Foreman's Parameters - is that correct?  We can set various key/value
> pairs and use those in the templates/snippets to direct the build?

Yes, pretty much the same. They inherit too, see "Global parameters" at
https://theforeman.org/manuals/1.12/index.html#4.2.3Parameters.

> 2 - Do foreman parameters accept more complication structures than just
> k=v, like dicts, lists, nested versions of those, etc?

No, only smart class parameters and variables do this. Those are
typically only used with Puppet and other config management, not
provisioning templates where regular parameters are only strings.

> 3 - This feels like a dumb one, but where the heck do you host your OS
> media?  In Cobbler, we host the media on each individual Cobbler server
> and sync it from a central source.  I could only find options to point
> at an NFS mount or some URL.  Cobbler generally handles loading the
> media into it's tree for you, does Foreman have something like that?

No, I'd keep it external and use mrepo, apt caching and similar.

> 4 - How do you deal with dual-homed installations?  I've gone over some
> of the documentation and I'm unsure if it's just using smart proxies, or
> subnets, or even the Locations feature

At its simplest, add a Subnet to Foreman for each unique network that
you're provisioning onto. You will need basic network services (DHCP,
TFTP, DNS) available in both - if you're hosting this on the Foreman
server then just ensure they're configured to listen/serve on every
interface. Remember that it's only really DHCP that needs presence on a
subnet (and only then if you're not using relays), both TFTP and DNS can
be routed.

You can put those services on remote hosts in those networks by
installing a smart proxy service onto it, which lets Foreman manage
those DHCP/TFTP/DNS services (add/remove entries). Foreman needs access
to connect to that smart proxy port (typically 8443/tcp). You'd then add
the Subnet/Domain again in Foreman, but be able to select that other
smart proxy for DHCP/TFTP.

> 6 - Can you call arbitrary URLs from a provisioning host to the Foreman
> server ( or whatever we'd be using, smart proxies? ) to get a generic
> template that's rendered for the host?  For instance, during a Windows
> installation, we'll call up to Cobbler's
> /cblr/svc/op/script/system/acme.example.com?script=somescript.cmd and
> it'll return a templated version of the script for that host.

Yeah, but it's limited to known types of templates. There's a template
type called "script" which would let you have a single script assigned
to a host and accessible with GET /unattended/script from the host.

> 7 - Foreman's hooks.  We tried to use Cobbler's triggers, but they were
> too generic.  We have orchestration in our builds where we call a URL on
> the Cobbler server and have it execute a script for us on the Cobbler
> server itself.  We use this for sending events up to our Salt master.
> We ended up just writing our own WSGI app to do this and the
> provisioning host calls it and sends the event.

I don't think anything like this exists. The closest might be
foreman_hooks but it only lets you add scripts to certain events in
Foreman's object lifecycle.

> 8 - Log shipping.  We use Cobbler's anamon process to ship over logs
> from the provisioning host, during the provision, back to the Cobbler
> host and upload those into Splunk, so we can watch a provision run
> remotely.  Anything like this in Foreman?

I don't think so.

--
Dominic Cleal
domi...@cleal.org