On 25 August 2016 at 17:04, Mike Wilson <uce.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guess I just can't get a good idea what the smart proxies exactly do. Are
> they just for API calls? Do they actually let other proxies sync up
> modules/node data?

It's for API, yes. They don't talk to each other, they only talk to Foreman
(in general - of course, plugins can do what they like). Since the
intention is to only have a single Foreman, but to manage multiple
networks/datacentres/office etc, then intended use of smart proxies is for
Foreman to have something consistent to talk to that can manage local
services in a gven location. That might mean Puppetmasters, DNS servers,
TFTP, etc. YOu can get a diagram of that in the manual -
https://theforeman.org/manuals/1.12/#Smart-Proxy

For the sake of clarity, I'll also add a note about the overloading of the
word "proxy" - it means many things to many people these days. The
smart-proxy is a proxy in the sense of "a person authorized to act on
behalf of another" (see https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=definiton+proxy).
In other words, it acts on the behalf of Foreman on a local network. It is
not a caching proxy, reverse proxy, or other form of synchronisation agent.

If I set up a remote smart-proxy puppet master and tell it to use the
> primary foreman puppet master as proxy... will it also keep the modules,
> nodes, and other data that is manipulated in Foreman (it's the primary
> puppet master also) current?

The short answer is "no". To explain a little, understand that no state or
data is stored in the proxy at all - if, for example, you ask the proxy for
a free IP on it's subnet, then it gets this by parsing the DHCP leases file
*right now*, not by storing a set of IP states itself.

Do I need to manually sync the puppet server files in
> /etc/puppetlabs/code/* (we do something like that that currently with our
> multi-puppet server setup) but unclear if this is required for foreman and
> smart-proxy setup.

You do, yes. Foreman makes no statement about how Puppet code should arrive
on disk - all it does is (when you click Import in the UI) ask the puppet
stuff what classes are on disk right now - that could be by asking the
puppetmaster over the Puppet API  or parsing the *.pp files themselves (for
older puppetmasters with no class API)

Hope it helps!
Greg