Haha I totally get it. I'm in a weird situation since we have puppet
running externally and also alongside our foreman setup while we evaluate
and prepare to switch over to have foreman handle being the puppet
master/ca/etc. All very confusing. For now I think I'll manage DHCP for my
production environment manually and just create a file like
"/etc/dhcp/subnets.conf" which I can force-include after I run
foreman-installer (if I ever do).

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 5:33 PM Greg Sutcliffe <greg.sutcli...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 3 October 2016 at 22:28, Neil Hanlon <nhan...@kayak.com> wrote:
>
> Sure. That definitely makes sense.
>
> It does seem logical to me that foreman would manage DHCP/DNS on a proxy
> if it's installed, but I also understand why this isn't the case.
>

> It does makes logical sense, thats the problem :) - this is just a case of
> two things that make sense conflicting and one of them (in this case the
> "don't change stuff directly" rule") having to win. I may try to write a
> blog post on consuming those two modules at some point, but I'm not
> promising :)
>

> Is the rule of thumb just to... not run foreman-install if you can avoid
> it?
>

> It's not a bad rule, although it is up for debate (this manual suggests it
> after a major version upgrade, for example).
>
> My approach is to use it to set up a new instance of Foreman and then
> import the installer modules into the newly-created puppetmaster (and
> configure the UI to pass the same overrides that I used on the cmdline, if
> any). It's a touch more work up front, but that way I'm doing the same
> thing as running the installer (but every half-hour), with the advantadge
> of knowing exactly what's being passed to Puppet (and thus the option of
> tweaking it in the future).
>
> HTH
> Greg
>
> --