On 22/05/17 20:55, Peter Bittner wrote:
> That still sounds a bit like a half-baked solution.
>
>  1. Why is the Foreman host being set up and configured using a Puppet
>     recipe, and then I should be throwing it away instead of
>     maintaining, modifying, extending it?

Sure, by all means. The modules used in the installer are published for
this reason, so they can be re-used. You don't even need to use the
installer if you use the same set of modules (and the Puppetfile is
published at
https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-installer/tree/1.15-stable). Using
them directly is reasonably advanced, but by all means do.

>  2. What is the cleanest path to add the Foreman host to the Puppet
>     configuration? (I'm not sure how the foreman-answers.yaml is
>     integrated, and whether I should copy everything over from
>     /usr/share/foreman-installer/
>     modules)

Probably not to use the installer and to use the modules directly,
either from an existing Puppet master or using `puppet apply`. Or create
a Puppet environment after installation.

>  3. Also, shouldn't the foreman-installer be uninstalled to maintain a
>     slim, clean system?

If you wish, it isn't required at runtime.

--
Dominic Cleal
domi...@cleal.org