> please use git to find out which branches it landed in, I believe the
> MySQL facter patch is 1.15+ only.

Yes, I already found that and am planning on an upgrade in our lab instance.
BTW, even after applying a patch (on 1.14), which helped tremendously, from
time to time I still get some duplicate entries caused by an already
discovered system trying to send its discovery payload. For whatever reason
though, Foreman discovery plugin does not recognize it as the same host and
creates a new entry in a DB with different ID:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ouz9YJ25K5M/WdvXTxpj4lI/AAAAAAAAAEE/1LcC1bcM2PUzzuH3gQtTQuT0Bx7mFHKTQCLcBGAs/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2017-10-09%2Bat%2B12.59.22%2BPM.png>

The host in question keeps of retrying, of course, and gets 422 "Name
already taken" over and over again. My question though is why a duplicate
was created instead of updating an existing host? It seems to me that this
host was not recognized properly. A complete debug log of a operation, that
I believe resulted in above duplicate entry, is here -
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/a9073629454074c67aa4799597fe23d5
I did not see any 422 error before this transaction so I think this is it.
Although I did not see any long MySQL queries, the whole transaction still
took ~11 seconds to complete for some reason:

2017-10-07 01:26:16 e3da2f90 [app] [I] Completed 422 Unprocessable Entity
in 11291ms (Views: 0.4ms | ActiveRecord: 172.9ms)

> For smart proxy, there was a patch done by Dmitri who redesigned DHCP
> parser, it's much more capable and faster now. I think this landed in
> 1.16 RC1, yeah: http://projects.theforeman.org/issues/19441
> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fprojects.theforeman.org%2Fissues%2F19441&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGvX5FtIFwzkZEj8ilJdCjDl8c4oQ>
>
> (
> https://github.com/theforeman/smart-proxy/commit/21813c6cde0d2be10747682f1a001a7c0bd3ffb9)
>

>From my side, any performance improvements for DHCP SmP is always a
welcomed change :)

> I did not hear about unresponsive smart-proxy processes, can you check
> system limits (open handles etc)? SELinux? Firewall. Any proxy plugins
> enable? Then file a redmine bug, haven't seen that.

That's the problem - no smoking gun that I could find. No system resource
shortages logged, system itself is a rather beefy VM that does not even
sweat, no firewalls, selinux set to permissive mode. I only run 3 SmP -
bmc, dhcp and tftp.
On top of that, since I can't replicate this at will, I have to wait until
this issue manifests itself naturally.

And just to make it clear - it is not that SmP process becomes completely
unresponsive, but only an API-facing part. That's why I'm wondering if
moving away from Webrick to Apache or Nginx with Passenger is a possibility.
Another question along the same lines - is it possible to run each of the
smart-proxies as a separate processes (listening on different ports)
instead of one with several proxies and single port. For example, in this
particular situation even if one SmP was having an issue, it would not
affect the other 2, also it would also pinpoint the troubled proxy
simplifying troubleshooting efforts.

Thanks!
Konstantin.