Greg,

I gave Discourse another try via e-mail but I have some issues:

1) Edits are not propagated to e-mail only users, I edited a post and
never got an e-mail about this. If this is a feature (I don't get
notification on my own edits), that's fine, but otherwise this creates
a huge hole as you can miss content.
2) It seems you can't reply to yourself via email, this often happens
if you need to correct yourself. This is because you need the reply
token, otherwise reply will lead to a new thread - this is broken in
many clients but some do have ability to correctly reply usually via
Reply to List feature (Mutt, Thunderbird via plugin). Discourse let
you opt-in to receive copies which makes your folder a mess and you
still need to wait because of (4).
3) All emails contain huge button to visit the thread, this is not an
email interface but notification with some ability to reply. Not a
great reading experience. Maybe we can edit the footer and make this a
very small text with just non-intrusive link?
4) Does not support text/plain emails, it just send both in MIME which
is "good enough" according to devs. I would love to *have* all emails
in plain text because integration with other things like mailing list
archives, bots or simply gmail users who cannot turn off HTML viewing
by default. Solving (3) might improve reading experience for poor
gmail users in HTML tho.
5) Email response is slow, I know there is some polling, but this is
simply limiting and web users are in advantage as they see the content
earlier.
6) Your MUA is collecting "sent addresses" as these are randomized
addresses. Perhaps not a big deal.
7) Similarly to (1) there are tons of other actions in the web UI
without e-mail notifications - "mailing list" users are put aside.
8) It's a notification system not a mailing list interface, please do
carefully communicate this towards users.

If we choose to migrate, we will see users moving towards web UI not
because it's good with all the shiny features, but because mailing
list mode is terrible experience.

Now, on a different topic, with possible migration we will likely
loose 3rd party archives. Our groups are already being archived at
several places, for example the world famous:

https://www.mail-archive.com/foreman-users@googlegroups.com/index.html

The way this works is usually there is a registered user that receives
all e-mails creating such an archive. There are multiple similar
services, GMANE perhaps the second most well known and Nabble is also
in wide use. I want not to break having this read-only for-life
archive which anybody can user or download. It can still serve as a
read-only backup when the service is down (e.g. planned outages) and
most importantly if we experience some mailing list integration
misbehavior we can all look into the "archive" to see what is being
sent and how it looks in text mode. This will be also here as an
archive of all emails sent, because if someone edits an entry and
there will be discussion around the edit, we can always look into the
archive. At the end, it's how people using mailing list interface will
read all content.

Theoretically anybody can setup such an integration, but some
administration or contacting mail-archive people might be required in
order to make sure the account does not get deleted and receives all
(publicly visible) emails. Big question is how this will work with
Discourse "MIME only HTML+plain" format. Therefore I would like to
request this to be put on TODO list ideally with priority so we have
continuous mailing list archive for the future. Details are here:

https://www.mail-archive.com/faq.html#newlist

In short, just "subscribe arch...@mail-archive.com to the mailing
list" and make sure the account does not get deleted (e.g. expiration
after X years). But something tells me this will fails and emails
coming from Discourse will not be readable in such an archive due to
MIME/HTML thing, let's see.

Then, you showed how easy is to import content into Discourse, but I
would like to read something about what is the plan if this whole
project fails. I tried to google some info about how to migrate from
it, but apart from some "data liberation" download links in weird
format (non-mbox/maildir) I could not find anything. We should at
least have a plan how to approach this and what our options are to
move back to mailing list.

And lastly, I see lukas_zapletal1 accounts, I was likely posting under
same name but different emails into the list. Is there some kind of
merge? Would like to only have one account with proper name, proper
nick and multiple emails owning all my posts. I briefly saw some
discussion around but I understand it is not possible, there are some
workarounds: https://meta.discourse.org/t/ability-to-merge-users/9220/75

Later,
  Lukas @lzap Zapletal