I would like to release 1.7.0 now and therefore not do changes that risk the
stability and consume more testing time. It could maybe be backported to a
separate 1.7.1 version. We might have some other bug fixes also. ;-)

Regarding the version numbering, I don't think 2.0 is motivated, since it
doesn't break backwards compatibility.

/Patrik