On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 22:52:01 +0200
Harald Anlauf via Fortran <fortran@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> we currently write the interface for intrinsic procedures to module
> files although that should not be necessary.  (F2018:15.4.2.1 actually
> states that interfaces e.g. of intrinsic procedures are 'explicit'.)
> This lead to bogus errors due to an apparently bogus ambiguity.
> A simple solution is to just avoid writing that (redundant) information
> to the module file.

I'd put the standard reference you cite in a comment before the check.

Does this change the module format in an incompatible way, i.e. does
this require a module format version bump?

What happens when we read an existing module that names an intrinsic?
Without bumping the module version, we'd run into the same issue as
before, don't we?

If we did not bump the module version yet for gcc-11 then i would
suggest to defer the patch for gcc-12 and bump then.

Even if we'd skip reading existing intrinsic now, we'd break interop
with older compiler versions if we would stop writing them without
bumping the module format, i think?