On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 02:39:47PM -0500, Bill Schmidt wrote:
> On 10/5/21 12:43 PM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > The last release (version 1.9) was in 2004.  If there is interest in
> > making updates to it that coulde be done of course, it is GFDL, there is
> > no red tape getting in the way.
> >
> > Maybe this could be maintained in the same repository even?
>
> Well, I'm not sure it's quite this easy; when developing ELFv2, there was
> enough
> doubt about the provenance/ownership of ELFv1 that we weren't comfortable
> borrowing
> language from it.  That may have been an excess of caution, or it may not...

I am not suggesting you should share this text with some other ABI.
Just that you can put it in the same repository :-)

> That said, with enough diligence I would hope we would be able to create
> modifications to the ELFv1 document, but we might incur some paperwork.

It is GFDL version 1.1 .  The hardest part should be to find that older
licence version :-P
(<https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/fdl-1.1.en.html> fwiw)

(But I understand your situation, heh.  Let the lawyers worry about it?
That is their job :-) )

Segher