I am not sure I understand your question correctly, but Fortran uses the
KIND mechanism to declare the precise characteristics of floating-point
variables and constants. Typically, these are identifying integer numbers
for single precision, double precision and quadruple precision. A custom
floating-point type would mean an additional KIND number with the relevant
runtime support and support from the various intrinsic functions and
modules In the directory gcc/fortran I find several source files that use
the typedef gfc_real_info and the array of kinds gfc_rel_kinds to deal with
floating-point data of various kinds. Would that help? (Caveat: I am a mere
beginner, and perhaps not even that, when it comes to the internals of the
GCC compiler suite)

Regards,

Arjen