Hi Rimvydas!

Am 28.12.23 um 08:09 schrieb Rimvydas Jasinskas:
On Wed, Dec 27, 2023 at 10:34 PM Harald Anlauf <anl...@gmx.de> wrote:
The patch is almost fine, except for a strange wording here:

+@smallexample
+gfortran -save-temps -c foo.F90
+@end smallexample
+
+preprocesses to in @file{foo.fii}, compiles to an intermediate
+@file{foo.s}, and then assembles to the (implied) output file
+@file{foo.o}, whereas:

I understand the formulation is copied from gcc/doc/invoke.texi,
where it does not fully make sense to me either.

How about:

"preprocesses input file @file{foo.F90} to @file{foo.fii}, ..."

Furthermore,

+@smallexample
+gfortran -save-temps -S foo.F
+@end smallexample
+
+saves the (no longer) temporary preprocessed file in @file{foo.fi}, and
+then compiles to the (implied) output file @file{foo.s}.

Even if this is copied from the gcc texinfo file, how about:

"saves the preprocessor output in @file{foo.fi}, ..."

which I find easier to read.

Can you also add a reference to the PR number in the commit message?
I agree, wording sounds a lot better, included in v2 together with PR number.

Yes, this is OK.

Pushed: https://gcc.gnu.org/g:2cb93e6686e4af5725d8c919cf19f535a7f3aa33

Thanks for the patch!

Is there a specific reason thy -fc-prototypes (Interoperability
Options section) is excluded from manpage?

Can you be more specific?  I get here (since gcc-9):

% man /opt/gcc/14/share/man/man1/gfortran.1 |grep -A 1 "Interoperability
Options"
         Interoperability Options
             -fc-prototypes -fc-prototypes-external

although no detailed explanation (-> gfortran.info).
The https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gfortran/Invoking-GNU-Fortran.html
does contain a working link to
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gfortran/Interoperability-Options.html
However the manpage has Interoperability section explicitly disabled
with "@c man end" ... "@c man begin ENVIRONMENT".
After digging into git log it seems that Interoperability section was
unintentionally added after this comment mark in
https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=commitdiff;h=e655a6cc43

Yes, that might have been unintentional.

Can you open a PR, and if you have a fix, attach it there?

Thanks,
Harald

Best regards,
Rimvydas