Hi Paul,

welcome back!

On 3/3/24 17:04, Paul Richard Thomas wrote:
Hi Harald,

Please find an updated version of the patch that rolls in Steve's patch for
PR114141, fixes unlimited polymorphic function selectors and cures the
memory leaks. I apologise for not working on this sooner but, as I informed
you, I have been away for an extended trip to Australia.

The chunks that fix PR114141 are picked out in comment 14 to the PR and the
cures to the problems that you found in the first review are found at
trans-stmt.cc:2047-49.

Regtests fine. OK for trunk, bearing in mind that most of the patch is ring
fenced by the inferred_type flag?

I would say that it is almost fine.

Two things that I found:

- Testcase associate_65.f90 does not compile with -std=f2023, because
  IMAG is a GNU extension, while AIMAG is the standard version.
  Could you please adjust that?

- I think the handling of parentheses and functions returning pointers
  does not work correctly.  Consider:

program paul
  implicit none
  type t
     integer :: i
  end type t
  type(t), pointer :: p(:)
  allocate (p(-3:3))

  associate (q => p)
    print *, lbound (q), ubound (q) ! Should print -3 3 (OK)
  end associate

  associate (q => set_ptr())
    print *, lbound (q), ubound (q) ! Should print -3 3 (OK)
  end associate

  associate (q => (p))
    print *, lbound (q), ubound (q) ! Should print 1 7 (OK)
  end associate

  associate (q => (set_ptr()))      ! <- are these parentheses lost?
    print *, lbound (q), ubound (q) ! Should print 1 7
  end associate
contains
  function set_ptr () result (res)
    type(t), pointer :: res(:)
    res => p
  end function set_ptr
end

While the first three variants give the right bounds, the last version
- after applying your patch - is mishandled and the testcase now prints:

          -3           3
          -3           3
           1           7
          -3           3

Both NAG and Intel support my expectation, namely that the last line
should equal the next-to-last.

Can you recheck the logic for that particular corner case?

With these points addressed, your patch is OK from my side.

Thanks for the patch and your endurance!

Harald

Cheers

Paul