I think it's good to have script/unicode domain names but I find it
absolutely ridiculous to open up internet to the possible anarchy of all the
domain names that are going to sprout up after this is opened up. Granted
some people want to have some fancy name for themselves (granted they have a
hundred thousand dollars and some server hardware lying around), it is
ridiculous that some legitimate site in the future wouldn't be able to get
toplevel domain name because it was granted already. What if we have a new
country that needs a new Top level domain name?
What if we go to moon and mars and want to get that?
Although opening for unicode works for all of us and can be seen as an
inclusive gesture, I don't find the 'opening' of the internet top level
domains to be so spectacular. The idea with .com, .org, .net and the country
level domain names was to provide a structure and identification to
individuals and companies and have a standard. ICANN was setup to maintain
that standard as a governing body. Unfortunately, the registrars didn't
quite follow the initial plans and domains became quite profitable business
to some.
Who knows what kind of word we might use in 10 years and what kind of domain
names we might want then? (Did you anticipate the word 'blog' in 1993?) I
think ICANN should open it up a little bit at a time and according to the
needs. Say, facebook.social myspace.social for say social networking sites,
.blog for blogs or whatever but a few at a time and still maintain the
current hierarchy. The hierarchy provides structure to the internet and
these actions might just break the internet as we know it or make some nice
little walled gardens for some... with people playing premiums to view their
favorite .xxx domains.
It will be interesting to see how this will be 'regulated'

--
Prasanna Gautam
300 Summit Street #700248