Hi Ujwal,

On Sunday, 21 September 2008 at 23:20:11 +0545, Ujwal Shrestha wrote:
> hehe,
> it means " how many bugs you find that much it is secured " and we are day
> to day using a bugged kernel calling it as secured.

As a programmer, I'd like to point out that producing a bug free software is
hard for non-trivial software and especially true for an operating system
kernel.

AFAIK just as a userland programs, no one kernel is perfect; be it Linux,
XNU/Mach, *BSD or Windows. Some of the best programmers work on maintaining
Linux kernel FYI and given a tight deadline, there are so many _vectors_ that
could make the bug possible on a given kernel release that I believe only a
kernel programmer knows. :)

It is kind of stupid to think that an OS is the _best_ only because of a number
of bugs in the kernel. Although its an important part of an OS (perhaps the
most important), there are many more that defines what an OS is such as
Usability from end user, Extensibility and Approachibility for
developers/admins, Stability/Robustness and much much more[1] where the "BUG
free kernel" only plays a minor role which is eventually fixed by the kernel
developers anyway (based on the seriousness of the bug).

> Actually linux should learn a lot from OsX.
> OsX might be the worlds most advanced operating system. it's a truth that
> they are the artist .

Ewwww! Okay, "Most advanced operating system" in terms of WHAT?  If you require
_Clicky here_ and clicky there kinda stuff for your job/whatever, you might as
well go back to Microsoft Windows with lots of software and you can _Clicky
here_ and clicky there. Seriously, sometimes Linux is a bit picky. But AFAIK
Linux is growing and it's growing FAST[2]. Linux GUI software are _decent_
enough to be usable. If one is really worried that OSX is taking over the world
tomorrow, then one ought to start coding a decent Window manager or GUI
framework for Linux that can compete with OSX. And no, I do not really like
writing "/SystemLibrary/" on my console!

[1] There's some article floating around the net on #bugs in Windows kernel vs.
Linux kernel. Wise idea to read them I guess before going into conclusion that
XNU is the best kernel.

[2] I don't know the answer. Please do not ask me how fast. For all I know, the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] always sits around with 1400+ users. More than any other
channels I've seen on freenode.
--
cheers
#define HIGH 0xcoffee