Dear All,
I consider myself a responsible member/volunteer of the Free Software
Community of Nepal (FOSS Nepal). Therefore, I have chosen to express a
few of my views regarding Software Freedom Day 2009 being organized on
behalf of FOSS Nepal. For any open community, means of communication
like this mailing list are the best and preferred ways to air one's
opinions and start discussion. I hope this will be taken in that light
and that this will be taken totally in a healthy and free spirit. I
don't mean any harm to any individual, organization or ideas and noone
should take this mail personally. A healthy discussion full of valid
arguments and reasons would be highly appreciated. Also, I mean
everything written in my signature, especially the 2nd point.

Like all of us, I was preparing myself for Software Freedom Day 2009
in Kathmandu. I and my friends were even thinking of doing a session
on a few enterprise level free softwares with my friends. Because of
personal reasons, I hadn't been able to find enough time to involve
myself in the preparation and organization of SFD this year but it was
good to see enthusiastic and some new volunteers gearing up for the
event, all very well. Yesterday, I received this invitation
(http://groups.google.com/group/foss-nepal/browse_thread/thread/e21b5416a725bd16)
for SFD, written in an informal language, where, all of a sudden the
name of the event had changed to "D2Hawkeye Services Software Freedom
Day 2009."

The wiki page of SFD had also moved and the page now reflected the
change in the name. A few hours and discussions later, the page moved
back to its original location with the original name intact. This
surely smelt foul. Is this something official, or done at the whims of
some person (or a group or person)? If it is official, why is it
changed every now and then and without announcing it first anywhere?
If it isn't official, why is this happening, who is allowing this to
happen and if this is wrong, what actions will be taken? And where is
the integrity of FOSS Nepal as a community (or as an organization
too)? Yesterday evening, weird things were seen on twitter too.
Anybody can search for @fossnepal 's tweets and witness of the kind of
personal messages and verbal abuses broadcast for the whole world to
see. Of course, it now seems that the right to feel ashamed of such
activities are reserved by only a limited fraction of this community.

First of all, the change of name was never announced, let alone
discussed in this mailing list. No page related to SFD ever mentioned
that. Some guys told that the "Concept Note" had such ideas and it was
the fault of those who hadn't read it. But the concept note
(http://wiki.fossnepal.org/index.php?title=Concept_Note) doesn't even
contain the word "Prime Sponsor." Then someone suggested that the
"Generic Proposal" contained the idea. Of course it did, but as it is
apparent, the Proposal was meant for Sponsors and anybody who's not a
sponsor would hardly download and study it. Even if someone would have
wanted, before any discussion was called, the Proposal was already
made ready for "download" after being "prepared"
(http://groups.google.com/group/foss-nepal/browse_thread/thread/3908789b5adac6ab/27b59e8eaafe764a)
. Even in the "Generic Proposal" (whatever the word generic means in
this context, I am made to believe that is is a Proposal for SFD 09),
it has been mentioned, "Event is named after the sponsor, For example.
'ABC Software Meeting 2009'". I am not sure if it was intentional, but
the language sure leaves a lot of room for ambiguity.

Coming to the main point, as I remember from last year's SFD
celebration, there was a heated discussion in a meeting over naming
HLCIT as an "organizer" of SFD. After intense debates, it was decided
that it was preferable to organize a small but 'free' SFD rather than
letting HLCIT take the credit of organizer of the event in return for
sponsorship. This was a very contentious issue and I am sure a similar
issue this year deserved some feedback and comments from the members
of this community. Letting it go just like that means an attempt to
validate it by letting no discussion happen about the issue. This
year, a sponsor (albeit it maybe one who's contributed a lot to Free
Software in Nepal and blah blah) has been allowed to changed the name
of an international event whose sanctity has been proven to be a very
sensitive issue (as demonstrated last year) among Nepalese and
international FOSS supporters alike.

As I've written somewhere else
(http://groups.google.com/group/foss-nepal/msg/f4dd2958885e34e1), if
FOSS Nepal isn't some INGO or NGO, we deserve an answer to the
questions raised here and I hope that will happen.

Thanking you,
Bibek Paudel

--
Disclaimer:
By sending an email to any of my addresses you are agreeing that: