I second this, as you do not have to do anything of enormous scale, that is
to give a huge speech in front of big audience with big talks.
You can actually sing opensource song with relative mild tone. Here are just
few stuffs you can start off with.
a. introduce about small opensource alternatives and promote their use. The
well known applications come up here, firefox, openoffice, pidgin, tomboy,
gimp, inkscape.
For this, you can practically approach any person, technical or non
technical and let them know, better alternatives exists and all you have to
do is download them and install. Many people do not even realize that
firefox is an OSS application. Once you tell them, its an OSS application,
you should ignite a curiosity among them as to what OSS is, and then your
speech can begin ;)
b. communicate with teachers, lab assistants on introducing opensource
alternatives to your lab. Sure you can program on TurboC compiler for many
more years to come, but then you will always make dos applications then. Ask
your lab assistant if you could have a linux and gcc. If you have a pentium2
computer, you could have a small distro which just boots into the prompt.
c. Tell your seniors, juniors, friends to do projects on OpenSource
platform. .NET and oracle are interesting / big platforms, but their
community is tiny compared to what opensource platforms offer. The learning
part and the developing experience in OpenSource is great.
d. Start a small community in your college. Start with a LUG (Linux users
group) or any other application user group. Spread the word around and be
nice to new participants. Hold regular meetings and share information about
whats happening in opensource world.

My best wishes!!

Bibek Shrestha
--