On May 28, 2009, at 8:01 AM, Bob Gobeille wrote:

> On May 27, 2009, at 10:55 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>
>> On May 15, 2009, at 1:27 PM, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>>
>> The only build requirement that I can see which isn't in EL5 base or
>> in EPEL is libextractor-devel.  I rebuilt a fedora libextractor
>> package in order to get the fossology build working -- if you feel
>

> Would it be a good idea reduce the overall build complexity by
> splitting each agent into its own install package?  For example,
> libextractor is only used by the pkgmetagetta module, which most
> people probably don't care about anyway.
>
> We are probably going to have optional modules (agents + UI) in the
> future anyway.  We have talked about this in the past but perhaps we
> need to do something about it.  IF this is a good idea, the first
> thing I would do is make pkgmetagetta optional.  Optional modules is
> also seems like a good way to introduce most new functionality since
> the new code will probably be less stable than the base code.
>
> Bob Gobeille

Without looking too closely at the fossology build setup, I imagine
this would be pretty easy to do inside the RPM itself.  We can create
sub-packages for the various modules, and dynamically add the
buildrequires on ie. libextractor only when building a module where
it's needed.  Will this require changes to the Makefile system that's
in place now?  Or could I do something like --without-pkgmetagetta/--
with-pkgmetagetta type of argument depending on how I want to build?
Does this imply that fossology will need a auto-conf type script?

Regardless of how we split the package/modules up, I think it makes
sense to get the needed dependencies accepted into some main repos
(EPEL in the case of RHEL/CentOS) just for general ease of
installation (and build for those who want to build themselves).  I'll
take that on for libextractor, which as far as I can tell is the only
thing missing for RHEL-5 at this point.  It's already in Fedora, so
it's a non-issue for those wanting to run fossology on Fedora.

-Jeff