From: fossology-boun...@fossology.org
[mailto:fossology-boun...@fossology.org] On Behalf Of Gobeille, Robert
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 2:18 PM
To: Ma, Dong (vinc...@gdcc-bj-most)
Cc: fossology@fossology.org
Subject: Re: [FOSSology] unpack size/time

Hi Vincent,
As per my previous email, this is probably not a great way to back up
a fossology database.  But it's good functionality to have because we
could add a feature that allows users to remove all non-reused files
except gold to save disk space.   I don't see any bad ramifications
except for the user experience (waiting for unpack).  The code changes
needed in unpack are minimal.  All the places in the UI that read
files will have to change.  So you don't want to create this backup
solution until all the code changes are done.

I think you also need to provide user instructions to backup the
entire repo.  That is:
    stop scheduler
    pg_dumpall > myfile
    backup myfile