People often look at FOSSology when they are considering buying software and
services from Black Duck.  So to save them some evaluation time here is my
summary of the differences.  I know we have had Black Duck people on this list
so if they or any of their customers want to contribute to this discussion,
please do.

1) Black Duck is proprietary and expensive, FOSSology is open source (GPL) and
free.
2) With Black Duck you get access to their large database of software
information.  With FOSSology, you have to build your own.
3) Black Duck has some great resources for helping you with your issues.
FOSSology is a software project, no services.  We do try to help as much as
possible on IRC/email but this is hardly the service you would expect from a
commercial company.
4) FOSSology scans every file looking for licenses.  This degree of license
analysis is not in the Black Duck database.  Note: My information on this may
be out of date.  If you know this to be correct or incorrect, please reply.

I think I'll just stop here.  I know we have users that also use Black Duck,
and they will be able to answer this better.

Bob Gobeille
b...@fossology.org