Hi,

So that is more a longer mail. As for the upload package granularity, a few
thoughts:

1. Every OSS project could be one upload. One idea of fossology is the reuse of
analysis and that works usually well with an OSS package-kind of granularity
and not with large archives of all kind of software.

2. You could group different OSS projects together for analysing more
efficiently. Users do that with super small OSS, for example nom packages.

3. As for “own” or proprietary software: usually the fossology tooling scans
for software being ready for distribution, 99% OSS, thus in most cases
containing licensing and copyright statements. If you have proprietary software
without licensing statements which could be found with fossology -> not much
will happen.

4. Super large uploads require database settings change (shared memory, work
memory in postgresql) and will result in super large SPDX (or other report
files), since FOSSology does not support partial report generation of an upload.

5. However, with the software heritage agent querying, you could check if point
5 “ Our applications in C and shell scripts.” Really contains your application
only.

So in a nutshell, you could consider splitting your uploads in the proposed 5
parts. You could run the reuse referring to your super-archive if that means a
rue-load to your fossology server.

So, did this summarise it well?

Regarding multi language: yes I agree could be the reason, possible, if the
encoding is different than UTF-8 (windows ISO latin or ISO 8859 might go, but
other encodings maybe not).

Kind regards, Michael