On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Thomas Dalton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> And, in fact, wikimediafoundation.org says "nonprofit charitable
>>> organization". I don't know why people generally say "non-profit"
>>> instead of "charity", then - charity would be more precise and would
>>> probably be better perceived.
>>
>> I'm afraid I disagree with you here.
>> Non-profit vs for-profit is a distinction in taxation and precise.
>> Charity vs not being charity may 1) no legal distinction in some cases
>> and 2) Wikimedia Foundation could be no charity in some definition of
>> non-US jurisdiction (and at worse it may be taken as deceitful).
>>
>> I am for adding "charitable" etc. but against replacing "charity" etc.
>> with "non-profit".
>
> I would say "being charitable" and "being a charity" mean the same
> thing (in reference to an organisation). Under the UK definitions (I
> expect other jurisdictions are similar), a charity is a non-profit
> whose objects and activities fit the definition of charitable objects
> and activities (that definition may vary from place to place). Since
> the WMF is described as a charitable organisation on the official
> webpage, I assume it is correct to call it such, so "charity" is a
> more precise term than "non-profit". I don't think there is a
> jurisdictional problem - as long as it is a charity in its own
> jurisdiction, it should be fine to call it a charity on its own
> webpages.
>
> The issue of varying cultural perceptions of the term "charity" (or
> literal translations) is a more serious one - we should give
> translators sufficient leeway to deal with such localisation issues.

That is why I prefer to keep calling it "non-profit". During
translation I met some translators who strongly hesitate to use the
equivalent "charity" in their languages since WMF type organization
couldn't be in the scope of those "equivalent". As far as I know
"non-profit" has caused no such problem.

--
KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)