On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Andrew Whitworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:22 AM, David Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I don't think it's helpful or useful to classify images that aren't
>> currently being used in an article somewhere as second class, or more
>> readily deletable.  There are, I think it safe to say, TONS of images on
>> Commons that aren't being used anywhere.  So what if we have male nudes far
>> in excess of what would ever need to be used in one article?  The point of
>> commons isn't as a hosting substitute for Wikipedia's article, it is as a
>> repository of free images.  For most purposes, people will only need one
>> image out of a group, but offering a variety from which they can choose can
>> only be beneficial.
>>
>> If the free-ness of an image can be reasonably disputed, fine, go ahead and
>> delete it, but don't start setting up separate standards for deletion based
>> on an image's use.
>
> It's also worth considering hypothetical books at Wikibooks or courses
> at Wikversity that teach the art of nude portraits, for which a large
> wealth of such images would be needed as examples. A simple search on
> Amazon for "nude photography" returns many such books [1]. Just
> because the nudity-related articles on Wikipedia can't use all of
> these types of images doesn't mean that they are useless to our
> projects.
>
> Obviously non-free images are a different topic entirely, and if these
> images are unacceptable for other reasons then they should be handled
> accordingly. However, deleting an image just because it is not
> currently used at Wikipedia is awfully short-sighted.

I may imagine free books and manuals about sex, too. Sexual education
is a part of modern education, as well as it is very important issue
in development of personality; actually, much more important than
quantum mechanics.

Besides the illustration of sexual positions, such books should
include illustrations of pornography, too, because this is the
important part of contemporary sexuality.