I think a small interactive quiz or 30-60 sec videos at point of upload
/ contribution.. may help "encourage" people to get informed about these
subjects and properly tag the media. For media pulled from external
archive we should ideally only support importing compatible licensed media

I don't think there is an issue of lack of quality documentation so much
as reading that documentation is not a literal barrier to contributing.
And possibly as you outline more people reaching out to inform.

--michael