Hi,

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Stuart West <s...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> - Due to the failure of the community process, something extraordinary had to
> be done. A small step was our Board statement we hoped would focus attention.
> A bigger step was the work by Jimmy and other individuals on Commons who took
> bold and decisive action. Clearly it is messy

Stu, thank you for sharing your thoughts in detail.

There are precedents in the Wikimedia movement's history where the
community process « failed » and the Board decided to take action.
They did so thoughtfully, by crafting a resolution that was refined a
lot (I seem to recall then-Board members who spent a lot of volunteer
time wording it carefully). The Board gave the community appropriate
time to implement the policy, and a deadline. The topic of this policy
was not very different from the topic we are discussing now, since it
was about Free and Non-free content:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Licensing_policy

From what I can see, this process, based on mutual respect and «
guidance » of the community, was highly successful:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Non-free_content
And I would even say it is a model of collaboration between the Board
and local communities.

If I understand correctly, the reason why this approach was not
followed this time is because there was apparently a feeling of
urgency. I am not privy to the discussions between Jimmy and Fox News,
but I understand Fox's story is the source of Jimmy's « bold and
decisive action », as you put it.

It is not unprecedented for the Board to « guide » the community that
fails to address an issue (and we have processes for that that have
proved successful). However, I believe it is quite unprecedented for a
Board member to exercise editorial control under the pressure of
another organization (however « fair and balanced » it might be).

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]