Thanks Veronique & Eugene for your comprehensive & thoughtful replies
re: this issue. It seems clear that an endowment (if there is ever one
developed) and good fundraising is not an either/or proposition.

There is also additional discussion going on about related topics on
this talk page:
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategic_Plan/Role_of_the_WMF

best,
Phoebe