On 2 October 2010 22:21, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think that is a misunderstanding that operated at the time as well. This is
> not about having to chew your way through all the available scholarly
> literature before you are allowed to start the article "canal".
>
> It is about checking if there *is* any scholarly literature out there. And
> accessing and using that as you grow the article.

So 30 seconds British library catalog search then forget about it.

> This is even more important when you start working on an article that has
> already existed for a number of years, and that other >editors have built up
> to C-Class, or whatever.  Before you jump in and rewrite the whole thing, you
> should check the sources that are >already cited, and check what scholarly
> sources are out there: authoritative sources that have been cited by many
> other authors, but >still haven't made it into the article.

Which means that unless you happen to live with a library that
includes a bunch of naval history or are prepared to spend a non
trivial amount of money you can't edit say [[HMS Argus (I49)]] (which
cites Warship 1994). You appear to be missing the point that wikipedia
is a collaboration.

--
geni