2011/5/25 Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org>:
> On 25/05/11 22:27, Strainu wrote:
>> What I understood from this thread is: if you have a planned
>> maintenance windows between 13 and 14 GMT, it would be appreciated if
>> you could:
>> - create a simple page that says: "We are working on our servers
>> between 13 and 14 GMT and Wikipedia might be unavailable during that
>> time"
>> - replace the usual error message with the newly created page as close
>> as possible to 12:59
>> - reinstate the usual error message at 14:01 (or whenever the maintenance
>> ends)
>
> There are dozens of places where error messages are generated. It's
> not trivial to replace them all. Some of them are hard-coded in
> compiled binaries, some are on the client side.

[...]

I kind of anticipated that response, but it's nice to have it written
somewhere. I think it is now clear for everybody why there is a need
for more sysadmins and/or developers to handle such issues.

I believe much of this thread could have been avoided (and this means
less time wasted writing emails for you guys) if you had stated that
in your first email.

Strainu