Responding to MZMcBride's question, "And a bit larger than this, what's an acceptable cost for keeping new editors around? For example, deleting a new user's article is probably the easiest way to discourage him or her, but is the alternative (allowing their spammy page to sit around for a while) an acceptable cost for the potential benefit?"

First, I think that the new visual editor will help.

Second, I think that the NOTFACEBOOK policy is a bit counterproductive in its current form. Wikipedia is a collaborative work and I've seen the NOTFACEBOOK policy pushed in the faces of people who engage in personal conversation on their talk pages. We want people to develop collaborative relationships here, right? I don't mean to suggest that people should turn userpages entirely into personal blogs, but I also think that the statement "Wikipedians have their own user pages, but they may be used only to present information relevant to working on the encyclopedia" is overkill and discourages people from forming friendly collaborative relationships. I think that we should move in the opposite direction, permitting and possibly even encouraging people to be social (within reasonable limits) while working collaboratively on our collective project of Wikipedia.

Pine