Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le lundi 20 août 2007, à 13:33 -0400, David Bolter a écrit :
>
>> Vincent Untz wrote:

>>> Fernando and I had a discussion about this at GUADEC. I'm also in
>>> contact with two or three other people who are interested in this.
>>>
>>> I think we'd need to create a mailing list and start organizing the work
>>> there, especially what will be the next actions. There are already a few
>>> ideas about how to make more use of GNOME for teaching. Of course, more
>>> focus on the research side would be great too!
>>>
>>> Fernando, do you want to take care of the mailing list creation? :-)
>>>

>> This is very timely. I've been asked to head up a pilot project here at
>> the University of Toronto with a goal of engaging students in open
>> source development. Please let me know if I can be of help (committee or
>> otherwise). Do we have someone to lead this effort?
>>

> Oh, interesting! I'd love to hear more about this project! And if we can
> help in any way with this, tell us!
>
> We didn't find a "leader" yet, but there's a small group of interested
> people, so it seems we're more geared towards a committee thing. So
> you're really welcome to join us to share your ideas (and do more if you
> want). I think Fernando will ask for the mailing list today, so we'll
> hopefully have it soon.

Thanks!

Described roughly. the 2.5 pilot project with Bell is to produce
personalized location aware information to students with mobile devices
on a university campus. My role in leading the project is still being
ironed out as I am pushing for pure open solutions. There isn't much
money unfortunately, as it is a pilot project that could lead to more
serious stuff. I've been blessed with too much to do lately so the offer
of help is very well received! :)

It will consist of browser based interactivity via RESTful web methods;
but I am open to other ideas.

I've been meaning to find out more about the online desktop effort to
see if that is aligned... and GeoClue...

The deliverables/goals are: student engagement, personalization, and
something called a knowledge broker.

all for now,