On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Vincent Untz <vu...@gnome.org> wrote:
> [...]
> https://wiki.gnome.org/UserGroups -- it's likely outdated, though) and
> our downstreams (contact would be distributor-list).
>
>> > If I was
>> > completely new to the community, and I'd read the guidelines, I'd simply
>> > think that it's simpler to not use the logo at all. I'd not even ask...
>> >
>> > This hurts because I can imagine local groups not doing stickers,
>> > flyers, etc. because they'd be afraid of the guidelines. Back in the
>> > days when we started GNOME-FR, there were no guidelines so we went crazy
>> > and did many different things; we wouldn't have done all that with the
>> > current guidelines.
>>
>> Yeah, so the thing that I think we really miss is some examples of
>> what is cool to do. Like examples of t-shirts and stickers, and
>> original designs based on the logo. My understanding is that this
>> would require some work from the board...
>
> What about all the goodies we had at FOSDEM and GUADEC in the last 7 or
> 8 years? :-)
>
>> Right now the guidelines are pretty unfriendly (especially the
>> guidelines for third parties, which is one of the things I don't like
>> about them) and only really cover what you can't do, rather than what
>> you can. The new page I wrote makes an effort to do away with as much
>> unfriendliness as possible, but could be more welcoming and
>> accessible.
>
> Just to give an example of what we do in openSUSE:
> http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Trademark_guidelines
>
> To be clear, this page is clearly not the most friendly page out there
> (too complex), but it explicitly gives many examples of what can be done
> without requesting permission.

>> > Of course it's fair, but to be honest, I'm fine with them using our
>> > logo. Fedora and openSUSE both use our logo too:
>> >   http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options#desktops
>> >   http://software.opensuse.org/131/en
>> >
>> > Sure, the context is slightly different, because you see all the flavors
>> > on the same page for Fedora and openSUSE, while it's not the case for
>> > Ubuntu GNOME. But it feels the same.
>>
>> The seem like different types of cases to me, to be honest.  Using the
>> GNOME foot as a logo for an independent project seems of a different
>> type to indicating that GNOME is featured in a piece of software. (The
>> latter is stated as fair use by the third party guidelines, fwiw.)
>
> Here's the thing: I don't see Ubuntu GNOME as an independent project,
> but as the result of the work of the GNOME team in Ubuntu, in very much
> the same way the GNOME team in openSUSE is able to produce a pretty good
> openSUSE+GNOME-based live image. And quoting their wiki page: "Ubuntu
> GNOME is an official flavour of Ubuntu, featuring the GNOME desktop
> environment." [1] That seams to match pretty well what you wrote above
> about Fedora and openSUSE.
>
> And really, coming back to one of my initial feeling: I actually want
> them to use our logo so they can help promote GNOME!

Exactly. I really don't understand whats not to like about Ubuntu
GNOME promoting the fact that if you use Ubuntu and you want GNOME (as
many of us do), there's a ready-made flavor for you. Ubuntu GNOME is
promoting GNOME - how/why is that a bad thing?

> Cheers,
>
> Vincent
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME
>
> --
> Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it. -  Goethe

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr.Seuss

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that
counts can be counted. - Albert Einstein