Hi Niels,

On Thu, 2018-01-04 at 14:03 +0100, Niels De Graef wrote:
> In light of the previous thread on the maps mailing list [1], I would
> like to ask if anyone knows about the plans for the Mapbox tile
> service in both the long term and the short term.
>
> Short term: am I correct in thinking that we have now transferred
> onto
> the pay-as-you-go plan (as mentioned in the last thread)? If so, does
> the foundation get the bill and does the Board of Directors need to
> know about this? If we can still enjoy the free plan, are the terms &
> conditions still the same?

In the short term, we're having our access extended on a month-by-month
basis while we work out a more permanent solution. Big thanks to MapBox
for this offer. We're working with MapBox to see what the cost of the
pay-as-you-go plan would be, and are trying to see how that could be
affordable for the Foundation.

> Long term: if we can continue with MapBox or another service
> provider,
> are other GNOME apps also allowed to use this service (and the JSON
> service file of Maps)? I'm asking this as the GNOME Contacts
> maintainer, as the app sorely needs to look into updating its code
> displaying maps. I'm at a point where I'm even considering
> (temporarily) ripping that feature out as it's leading to crashes for
> some people.

I'm not sure about the specifics for this, but AIUI, we have a GNOME
redirector in place so in theory, we should have something more stable
even if we do switch providers. I'm not entirely sure who runs that -
any ideas?

Neil
--
Neil McGovern
Executive Director, The GNOME Foundation