Hello,
I am currently drafting an infrastructure for a project where the number one issues are the throughput and the BGP sessions. The topology consists of 4 PoPs and could grow to about 8 within the next 12 months. Each PoP will be connected to 6 transit peers with full BGP, about 15 private peers and to about 150 peers at national IX of the router’s location, about 2.5M routes per router.
This project is straight and linear data output with big packet size. It requires three levels of QoS (5 Mbit of Voice/IP high-importance, 500 Mbit of intra-location replication with medium-importance and 30 Gbit of external connectivity). I will need to setup OSPF for cost and STP.
It is a project that will not require any advanced features, such as MPLS and with a limited budget. I have checked all constructors and decided to retain Brocade for the Ironware ease of use and stability. Based on that I have looked at hardware capable of pushing this quantity of traffic and I have found XMR, MLX and RX to answer my needs. XMR as far too many features and is far too expensive, off; MLX is a good option, but it is more pricy than RX series and offer only the advantage of MPLS and is not full ASICs as I understood, so I finally shortlisted RX.
I am now evaluating the RX-4 or RX-8 as potential candidate for this project. I wish to use the same model at every location for change management and for buying spare parts in a smart way. Considering we will transfer big packets and RX-4 is able of 960 Gbps @ 286 Mpps with I guess large packet I will likely retain it. It seems able to support STP, OSPF, QoS, 256 BGP peers, 4M routes, and 14K objects with MR2 it is enough for me.
Is anybody using this hardware for BR purposes and pushing big traffic toward Internet? Is there anything that I should be aware or consider? Anybody got an experience (good or bad) with it?
Please feel free to reply or contact me off-list for reviews, I will be happy to have feedbacks from the real world.
Thank you.
CAMC
Topology: http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8752/img1s.png
---
http://mail.secureroot.com/ - free mailbox for hackers and geeks
I am currently drafting an infrastructure for a project where the number one issues are the throughput and the BGP sessions. The topology consists of 4 PoPs and could grow to about 8 within the next 12 months. Each PoP will be connected to 6 transit peers with full BGP, about 15 private peers and to about 150 peers at national IX of the router’s location, about 2.5M routes per router.
This project is straight and linear data output with big packet size. It requires three levels of QoS (5 Mbit of Voice/IP high-importance, 500 Mbit of intra-location replication with medium-importance and 30 Gbit of external connectivity). I will need to setup OSPF for cost and STP.
It is a project that will not require any advanced features, such as MPLS and with a limited budget. I have checked all constructors and decided to retain Brocade for the Ironware ease of use and stability. Based on that I have looked at hardware capable of pushing this quantity of traffic and I have found XMR, MLX and RX to answer my needs. XMR as far too many features and is far too expensive, off; MLX is a good option, but it is more pricy than RX series and offer only the advantage of MPLS and is not full ASICs as I understood, so I finally shortlisted RX.
I am now evaluating the RX-4 or RX-8 as potential candidate for this project. I wish to use the same model at every location for change management and for buying spare parts in a smart way. Considering we will transfer big packets and RX-4 is able of 960 Gbps @ 286 Mpps with I guess large packet I will likely retain it. It seems able to support STP, OSPF, QoS, 256 BGP peers, 4M routes, and 14K objects with MR2 it is enough for me.
Is anybody using this hardware for BR purposes and pushing big traffic toward Internet? Is there anything that I should be aware or consider? Anybody got an experience (good or bad) with it?
Please feel free to reply or contact me off-list for reviews, I will be happy to have feedbacks from the real world.
Thank you.
CAMC
Topology: http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8752/img1s.png
---
http://mail.secureroot.com/ - free mailbox for hackers and geeks
_______________________________________________ foundry-nsp mailing list [email protected] http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/foundry-nsp
