Rev: 10.2.01oTI4

I'm having 'intermittent' problems resolving paypal addresses. Paypal support suggests in https://ppmts.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/907

"If your firewalls are not standards compliant you may experience intermittent timeouts and slow response times resolving *.paypal.com domain names.

The problem is defined as intermittent response to DNS queries for paypal.com and is centric to the merchant's router/firewall infrastructure and their ability to handle larger UDP/DNS responses.

In these scenarios, the device is dropping the packet, and, because of UDP, there is no retransmit. Due to the nature of the DNS client, it tries a second (or more) time and at some point is successful. "

Our SI is configured to allow TCP and UDP on port dns without size restriction. Our DNS server is an up-to-date debian installation: with the DNSSEC RFS'c dating to 1999 and 2005 I can't imagine our version of bind is incompatible.

The thing I'm not clear on is whether the SI's allow fragmented packets by default or not.

Help appreciated, especially if you've solved the paypal intermittent timeout issue.

--- David
_______________________________________________
foundry-nsp mailing list
[email protected]
http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/foundry-nsp

Reply via email to