Sometimes uploading isn't a good thing.  Think twice before doing an upload
before a saveall.

When you create your control configuration it's a good idea to put initial
values in for most of the settable parameters.  If you are always doing
uploads you are going to be uploading parameters that have been set to keep
the plant in steady state, hopefully, but not necessarily where you want
them to be at initialization.  You might also be doing an upload when things
are really out-of-control.

Another approach is to configure your blocks with what you want as an
initial value, when the blocks are initialized after a load-all.

Modify your backup script to look the checkpoint file timestamps.  Only do a
backup when the timestamp changes from the last saveall backup.  The end
result is that you only do a backup after you've made a change to the CP.

Then, write yourself a script using "getpars" to grab all the block
parameters that are of interest to you, e.g. all of the PID block .SPT
parameters or all of the CALC block RIxx's.  Have the data gathering script
put things into a file in a designated directory.  Label the file names in a
way that includes time and date for easy reference.  Use those values to
update your initial values in FoxCAE or the integrated control configurator.
You can also update you SOP's that the operations folks use to bring the
plant up.

You could use the operator action journal to track changes, or even the
historian.  But a script like this can be tied to a button you can hit when
you've got things in the right state.  Or you can kick it off at a
prescribed time.

This is a little more work than doing those uploads, but you won't need to
worry about doing a load-all with controllers wound-up and outputs max'd
out.  You also won't be doing nearly as many uploads and ICCAPI save-alls,
reducing network and processor load.

Of course you don't need any of this if you have a nice little start-up
sequence to bring things up nice and orderly.