I was wondering if anyone on the user list has had any problems with timezones
in AIM* products. The following is a problem we are having in Australia...

We are running AIM* 3.02 on off-platform servers at two of our sites. One
site uses 50 series boxes as remote collectors, the other site uses 70
series as collectors.

At both sites, the AIM* server is configured to use UTC (GMT in the old
language) as its timezone. This matches the timezone on the I/A boxes so
data is logged nicely with UTC timestamps.

The problem arises in remote clients using Aim Datalink - and maybe in
AimExplorer - where the client PC's are setup to use Australian Eastern
Standard Time (AEST = GMT+10). On these client PC's, the data viewed using
the Aim Datalink Historian Browser is shifted forward by 10 hours to match
the local timezone.

Unfortunately, this requires a mental calculation when looking for data. For
example, to find a point of interest for something which occurred at 12
noon, you need to look at data from 10 PM onwards.

The answer we got back from our local Foxboro office (relayed from Foxboro
TAC) is that the client PC's need to be setup to use UTC (GMT) as the
timezone.

Since these client PC's operate within our corporate network of a couple of
hundred machines, it is neither feasible or desirable to have a dozen
machines operating in a different timezone.

I have read the timezone information in the AIM* manual, but frankly it
still isn't clear to us how to set the Aim* database to overcome this problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem, and even better, found a way around it?

I can supply the Instance and Collector setup if this would be useful.

Regards
Rob Laghigna
Australian Vinyls