Michael J Wing says:
When I try to set the ACTION parameter with omset (only testing!) I get an
error code of 15. This corresponds to "omopenlist already open". Is this
perhaps because I'm talking about an ECB that is used to communicate with
an AB PLC on an AW51 integrator rather than a more common FBM ECB? omget
for this parameter returns a 0.

Micheal,
That is exactly the response I get when I try to set the ACTION parameter
using omset.  I also looked up the error code in the
/usr/include/fox/om_ecode.h and it does look like it's "omopenlist already
open".

So then Bo says:
The reason you can not set the ACTION bit with omset is because it is NOT
SETTABLE. However, one can still set it with the ever hazardous tool 'setpars'.

Bo,
B0193AX the block book, has this to say about the ACTION parameter.

ACTION   | equipment action request | pack_b | no-con/set | 9 | 0 to 9

So it is not connectable, but is settable. (At least that's what the book
says. I've been burned by the book before though.)  I think it may be the
way I'm setting a packed boolean with omset, but it sure looks right.

Again I turn to the book
ACTION
    Equipment Change Action is a packed boolean data store that is a
request from the Station Manager to perform an action related to a
particular FBM. The format of the request is a 2-byte mask:

      Bit Number*
        (0 to 15)        Description When True           Boolean Connection
                                                         (B16 to B1)
      0                  ON_LINE                         ACTION.B16
      1                  OFF_LINE                        ACTION.B15
      2                  RUN_DIAG                        ACTION.B14
      3                  DOWNLOAD                        ACTION.B13
      4                  CALIB1 #                        ACTION.B12
      5                  CALIB2 #                        ACTION.B11
      6                  UNDECLAR_ECB                    ACTION.B10

     * Bit 0 is the least significant bit (starting from the right).

I'll try setpars and see what happens.

Thanks to all for the help so far.

Regards,
David