I would assume that your refinery is similar to ours in the sense
that the process units come down at different intervals for turn-around
maintenance.  With that in mind, by connecting I/A nodes through the
carrier-band LAN you may run into issues.
1)  You may end up with different versions of I/A on the nodes. This could
lead to incompatibility.
2)  Depending on the criticality of the control, it could become difficult
to take the node owning the AOUT off-line. Again, effecting
maintenance/upgrades.
3)  If your process units are treated as individual units, ownership of the
final element, i.e. valve, will need to be clearly defined.

Anyway......just some rambling thoughts.
James J. H. Dykes
Tosco Corporation
Avon Refinery
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]