List,

In case anybody cares and has time to play with this sort of thing.

We just got our first AW 50 series box up and running control blocks. So
the first thing I did was load all this other stuff that it needs to be
really useful.  SAMBA was first, then the gnu compiler (whoops it won't
fit), then Apache, Perl, TCL all this good stuff I probably will never have
time for.  Then comes the X Server for my PC.  eXceed was way too
obvious.  I am sure all you have been there-done that.  So what about the
free X server, XFree86.  That's the one that ships with Linux, blah, blah,
blah.  There is a Windoze port of it.  It is called DXWin32.  It's a little
slow, but hey, only two guys work on the code.  Did I mention that it is
free?  If you are interested in trying the X server, see the abbreviated
help at http://207.218.225.177/Cygwin_X.htm  Plus there is lots of stuff on
the XFree86 page.  Ignore all that stuff about XF86Config unless you are
trying the Xwin.exe server.

In case you are worried about the integrity of my system, let me say that
we don't have a plant to run.  We just play. If you have trouble with any
of this stuff, drop me a line, I'll try to help if I can. BTW, the cygwin
shell comes with CVS.  That is the source code control system used by all
the 'Cathedral in a Bazaar' open source guys.  Hmmm--I guess that is next
on my list.

No doubt some of you have tried to do a pkgadd with a big package (gcc for
instance) and received the error about no space left on the device.  Just
for the record, here is how you get around that without having to make
symbolic links all over the place.  The problem is that /var/tmp is used as
a temporary directory and the /var partition is really not that big. To get
around this, you need to use the -s option to pkgadd. (Thanks to some guy
named Jerry Yu for this).  Suppose we have a package program-1.00-local.gz
that we have placed in /tmp. Can do the following as root:
#> cd /tmp (or where you put the program file)
#> gunzip program-1.00-local.gz
#> mkdir /tmp/spool (this can be any directory in a place with a lot of
disk space)
#> pkgadd -s /tmp/spool -d program-1.00-local
#> cd /tmp/spool
#> pkgadd -d .

Hope this helps.
Winston Jenks