We have and continue to experience this.  We are having to go as high as 500
Ohms because of the low resistance in the FBMs.  Our instrument guys connect
the HART communicator across the resistor which is hooked in series not
parallel.  We found some terminal strips (from Phoenix Contact I believe)
that have modular resistor inserts to avoid having to splice resistors
inline.  Rosemount states that at least 250 Ohms of loop resistance is
required for the HART communicator to communicate to the smart transmitters.
I believe they were assuming a certain amount of resistance at the input
modules when they stated that also.  Maybe some other DCS's have higher
input resistance and it is not a problem.  Foxboro's is pretty low.

Chad Airhart
Senior Instrument, Electrical & Control Systems Engineer
Equistar Chemicals, LP.
Victoria, TX
Wk. (361) 572-2568
Pgr. (361) 270-2214 alpha messaging at  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fx. (361) 572-2541