In a message dated 1/2/2005 12:31:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,  [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
The Free Pascal Team is pleased to announce that FPC version 1.9.6
(or 2.0.0-RC1) is available and ready for download.
Thanks, Michael.

Downloaded it this morning and it seems to be working nicely. Do have a couple issues a couple questions and a monster KUDO. Will do the issues first:
1) The Win32 installer does not install the utils folder. It's in the download, but doesn't get installed. Easily corrected by just unzipping it manually.
2) There is no demo folder, and hence, can't do the simple check with hello.pp that is referenced in the README
3) The source directories on the download sites are still empty. Are they still coming or am I looking in the wrong place,
which leads to my first question:
1) I have been keeping up-to-date at the source level with CVS updates every couple days. Can I just keep building on my current source tree with CVS updates or do I need to do a complete new CVS checkout (please say yes, my network connection stinks!!)
2) It's really nice to have debugger (gdb) support in the IDE again. I get it every time I load a new binary and lose it again every time I install a snapshot compiling the sources. What the heck do I have to do to keep getting the IDE and GDB connected under Windows. I've downloaded every concievable flavor of GDB I can find (the GNU .gz version, Cygwin, MingW) I'm sure I've got every thing I need to keep it working but I'll be darned if I can figure out what I need to do/configure to make it all work together.

And now the praise and adulation:
Michael et al, your work on the documentation is nothing short of herculean. While not directly related to this release, the Doc-HTML library is great and provides a great context-sensitive help under Lazarus. The new RTL.PDF file that came with this release is OUTSTANDING. For a non-Delphi (and basically non-OOP) oldtimer like me, I think this will become my "Newest Testament".

Thanks for all the hard and great work

Dave