Dean Zobec wrote:
I can immagine,  the DObject is a TVarRec.  The problem with speed and
memory usage are the things that I don't like in Decal and it still
makes me wonder if it would be better to reimplement a containers
library from scratch, if we had generics to add type checking at compile
time... I'm looking at all the options (time is a limited resource :).

Generics are indeed very nice to have. But if we want a nice data structures
and algorithms package before generics are implemented, we will have to do
without for now.

When Generics are supported by the compiler, the unit(s) could be adapted to
use Generics. By that time, there would be quite some feedback and experience
from the first implementation. This can help creating a package using Generics
that is also well designed. (i.e. we can learn from 'mistakes' in the first
implementation)

On the other hand, there is already a lot of experience from other similar
libraries, such as Decal, STL, java.util, etc. But that might not be part of
the experience of the programmer implenting such a package for FPC.

Besides using TVarRecs, we could also use pointers (as in classes.TList) or
objects. This would perhaps be a bit like it is in java.util. Then we would
also need container classes for basic types such as boolean, integer, string
and float. I'm not sure whether this is indeed a good plan, but I'm just
mentioning it because you said you want to look at 'all the options' :)

Anyway, I'm very interested in a library with commonly used generic data structures
and algorithms, and I think there are many more such developers. So I'd say: keep
up the goods plans & work!

Regards,

Bram