Martin Schreiber wrote:

On Monday 27 June 2005 13.53, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

That won't like people who count on delphi compatibility. Maybe we should
make the widestring heap allocation through the widestring manager so
heaptrace can hook it.

Then the other way around, a new widestring which is reference counted
on all platforms for people like, me who count on cross platform portability. So i can write

type {$ifdef FPC}
 mywidestring  = FPCwidestring;
{$else}
 mywidestring = widestring;
{$endif}

and exchange 'widestring' by 'mywidestring' 10'000 times...
In most times i use widestrings and not ansistrings and i estimate
the performance gain of the FPC widestrings over the not reference
counted delphi strings.

Maybe we should reconsider the idea of a new string type: ref. counting and containing a field contain the encoding. The widestring is very windows specific anyways.