Bram Kuijvenhoven wrote:
Micha Nelissen wrote:

Bram Kuijvenhoven wrote:

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

- we'll use a syntax as close as possible to Chrome, e.g.
type
  TList<T> = class

I greatly favor this syntaxis above the generic-modifier. It will look at a lot more familiar to most programmers (due to e.g. C++ and Java),

"Must look familiar" programmers should be fired.

Of course, the implementation of generics in Pascal should not depend solely on how it is implemented in other languages. I should in the first place fit into Pascal.

Since it is already decided that it would be <> I didn't mix into the discussion anymore. However, I'll make a comment on this.

Does <> for generics fit into Pascal? Well, we use [] for array indexing, and () for parameter passing to procedures/functions/methods. So why not use <> for passing parameters to generic types? And, similar to the case of function calls and array indexing, these <> could follow the type identifier directly.

Params are passed to a procedure define like

  procedure MyProc(param, param, ..)

Arrays are declared like

  A: array[0..9] of ...

And generics.... they are soly defined by the fact that a type has <> in it.

That is imo inconsequent.

Marc