Op Wed, 16 Nov 2005, schreef Florian Klaempfl:

> Daniël Mantione wrote:

> >>one little desgin feature of utf-8 is that is was carefully designed to be
> >>friendly to byte-orientated code. No special precautions are needed for
> >>substring matching in utf-8!
> >

> > Which is the "be ignorant about multibyte character sets" model. Nothing
> > wrong with that model, but it has its limitations.
>
> Why? What he says is correct?

*sigh* Yes, what he says is correct. Now to do something with
strings. I.e. reverse them, or any other operation that needs to split
the string into pieces.

Try to do any operating with has to do with the order of characters (i.e.
compare strings).

Now the model "be ignorant" no longer works.

If all you did need to do was nothing, people wouldn't be begging for
Unicode support, right?

Daniël