On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Ales Katona wrote:

> Daniël Mantione wrote:
>
> > I don't like to do the abstraction at the syscall level, but one level
> > higher, i.e. the Tstream implementation. The reason is that the operating
> > system abstraction happens at this level:
> > - OS abstraction wis present here.
> > - Emulating missing system calls is often much more inefficient than
> > a higher level workaround.
> >

> I never wanted to emulate missing syscalls.
>
> > Adding an extra layer of abstraction without a good technical reason
> > greatly increases the danger of overdesign and code bloat.
> >

> The reason is libfprtl.so

How does this make it a reason ?

libfprtl will always be specific to the distribution it was compiled on.
If tuned, it should be tuned to that system.

Just like libc or any library close to the system is. Don't try to copy
a binary libc.so from a SuSE to a Fedora system, it won't work.
Just like you shouldn't copy kernel32.dll from Windows XP to Windows 2003.