Check the wiki article "Single assignment", which deals about the subject.
I have done a substantial deal of reading on optimizing and SSA already.
And the fpc source seems a nice start to get at it :).
However i need to get to know the source better.

What document are you referring to, Comparch.pdf?
I am referring to the wiki of course :).

During normal development, we are contiuously doing changes to get the
code cleaner and actually

On what part is the majority of work being done at the moment?
(Guess it's not the scanner & parser).

...I'm reasonably satisfied with the cleanness of the
code at the moment: We have a very clean code generator structure, the
code is reasonably well documented, OOP is used were appropriate, etc.

Sounds interesting :). I didnt get to the code generator yet (the internals wiki does not cover it). Is there other documentation on the "code generator structure"?

However, there is always room for improvement and indeed there exist a
few very long procedures.

Well in the end i can get use to anything. But i available for giving feedback on
design improvements.